Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Zuppa Toscana

Last night, my boyfriend told me he needed to run to Salinas to pick up some paperwork. So we ate Zuppa Toscana, or Tuscan Soup, for dinner (since I, in my wisdom, had started dinner early). The original recipe can be found in "Top Secret Recipes," by Todd Wilbur, and it's a clone recipe of the soup you'll find at the Olive Garden. My version triples the recipe, adds more kale and uses less potatoes than the original.This is one of my boyfriend's favorite dishes, and I'm glad I made it. Remember that trip to Salinas I told you about? It was just a ruse to get me to Carmel--where he proposed. [:)]



If you were to make an "engagement" meal (as opposed to a Valentine's Day or birthday meal), what kind of stuff would you make?

Zuppa Toscana (hacked)



8 cups chicken stock or broth

2 lbs sweet Italian turkey sausage, either links or ground meat

2  medium russet potatoes

4 cups chopped kale

3/4 cup milk or cream

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes


Brown the sausage in a large pot. Slice it up into 1/2 inch thick rounds (if you have links), and add that as well. Cut the unpeeled potato in half, then cut the halves into 1/2 inch slices, then cut those in half and add them to the pot along with the kale. Stir, and bring it to a boil. Then turn the heat down and let the soup simmer for an hour, or until a fork goes through the potatoes easily. Turn off the heat and stir in the milk right before serving. You can also do this with a crockpot. Serves up two as a dinner or four as an appetizer. Serves one hungry, love addled couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment