Saturday, September 4, 2010

Baked Eggs with Bacon and Swiss Chard

I usually try to make a big meal for my husband on weekends, since I actually have time; his favorite is waffles with bacon and eggs. Since it's the holiday weekend, and I decided to do something a little different for breakfast. I altered this recipe from my issue of Bon Appetit; you can use spinach instead of swiss chard.


Baked Eggs with Bacon and Swiss Chard

1 ovenproof skillet
4 slices bacon
1 bunch swiss chard
2 Sara Lee Sandwich Thins (or English muffins), toasted
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons milk or cream

Preheat oven to 400. Cook bacon in large skillet until done; remove from skillet and chop coarsely. Set aside. Saute swiss chard in pan, in drippings, seasoning with pepper. Remove. Wipe skillet clean.
Place toasted sandwich thins in skillet. Mound chard on each sandwich slice. Using back of spoon, make a shallow indentation in each mound. Carefully crack egg into each indentation. Sprinkle eggs with bacon, then bake in oven till whites are set but yolks are still slightly runny, 14-16 minutes. Serves two hungry newlyweds or four regular people.

No comments:

Post a Comment