Thursday, August 19, 2010

Beef Short Rib and Barley Stew

When I went grocery shopping the other day, I stumbled across some beef short ribs. I immediately called my mom, the Beef Short Rib Queen, to ask for advice. She gave me a simple recipe:"Brown them, add some onions, and then add water. Cook them till they're done." OK, not very specific. But I managed to figure it out on my own.


Beef Short Rib and Barley Stew


1 package beef short ribs


1/2 red onion, sliced


Water to cover


1 cup barley


2 tablespoons thyme


2 tablespoons salt, pepper


1/2 cup flour


1/2 cup oil


Brown the short ribs in a large pot. Add the onion and brown. Add water to cover, then add the barley. Includehalf the spices and cook over medium heat until the meat falls off the bone (about an hour or so). Heat oil in a separate pan. When hot, add the flour and cook, stirring, until it becomes a paste. Add the other half of the spices and stir those in. Pour the paste into the rib pot and stir to thicken. If you need more seasoning, add it now. Serves four or five people.

No comments:

Post a Comment